Have you ever wondered if there is a genre of Queer holiday tunes that you may be missing out on when your festive playlist is feeling a little tired? Or perhaps you're looking for a great book for that special 2SLGBTQ+ tween or teen in your life?
For the December episode of Hey, Cis! our Connected Communities moment with TD Bank Group is all about holiday music, tween/teen books and 'Ending the Year Extra Queer'!
What are you listening too and reading this month?
Share your faves in the comment section below or add a song to our 'Hey,Cis! Jingle This' Spotify playlist.
Hey, Cis! episode 36 is our 2022 year-end podcast where we're sharing some good spirit and festive enthusiasm. The team at SGF reflect back on the year and with of our highlights; as well as connect with two of our locally, Queer-owned shops for some of their tween/teen 'must-read' Gift Books.
And because sometimes your holiday playlist needs an overhaul, scroll down and tune-in check to a few of our toe-tapping faves for the season.
Image: Isaac, Emma and Cyn getting frosty
during the recording of S3:E35 of Hey, Cis! podcast
Hey, Cis! Jingle This - Holiday Playlist
Marshall and Jay's Reading Recommendations & Gift Inspiration
Venus Envy store owner Marshall recommends:
- Felix Ever After by Kacen Callender
- I Wish You All The Best by Mason Deaver
- Can't Take That Away by Steven Salvatore
- Genderqueer - a memoir by Maia Kobabe
- Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas
- Ciel by Sophie Labelle
Venus Envy is an award-winning sex shop and bookstore. 'Anyone who's turned off by traditional sex shops will find us a welcoming and informative place.'
Cape & Cowl Comics & Collectibles - Jay's Faves featuring trans representation:
- Wandering Son by Takako Shimura (Unfortunately out of print, but you can sometimes still find volumes on the secondary market)
- Backstagers by James Tynien IV and Rian Sygh (There are three paperback graphic novel collections, plus some other additional one-shot comics and prose stories)
- Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang
- She-Ra Legend of the Fire Princess by Gigi D. G. (Based on the series by Nate Stevenson)
- Mooncakes by Wendy Xu
- Genderqueer by Mia Kobabe (I usually just warn parents/teens that pages 128/129 can be hard to encounter)
- A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities by Mady G.
- Nimona by Nate Stevenson
- Steven Universe by Rebecca Sugar (MANY different comics and graphic novel collections and books available)
- The Tea Dragon Society by Katie O'Neill (Three large hardcover volumes available) More great rainbow representation:
- Heartstoppers by Alice Oseman
- Wait, What? by Heather Corinna and Isabella Rotman
- A Quick & Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns by Archie Bongiovanni and Tristan Jimerson
- Moonstruck by Grace Ellis (Three paperback graphic novel collections available)
- The Trans Agenda by Sophie Labelle
Cape & Cowl Comics & Collectibles is a comic shop that is so much more in Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, specializing in comics, toys, and games. They have a variety of products and events for contributing support, education and fun to our community!
Thanks for growing with us this year!
Listen to S3:E36: Ending the Year Extra Queer!
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team. We share information that is helpful personally - or shareable within your child's school, sport; or your place of work.
Our newsletter posts monthly.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.